Provisions - IASB Research Project
- Research phase
- Robert Stojek, Almudena Alcala
The objective of the research project is to gather evidence to help the IASB decide:
- whether to take on an active project to amend aspects of IAS 37 Provisions, Contingent Liabilities and Contingent Assets; and
- if so, what the scope of the active project should be - which topics the IASB should address out of a range of matters raised with it in recent years.
The IASB has not yet decided what the output of this research project should be. But the IASB staff believes that if it reaches preliminary views in favour of major amendments to IAS 37, the most helpful output might be a Discussion Paper that:
- sets out the various problems that it has considered; and
- gives its preliminary views on whether and how IAS 37 should be amended to address each problem.
The changes that the IASB is proposing to its Conceptual Framework could have significant implications for any review of IAS 37.
In February 2018, the IASB decided to restart soon after the revised Conceptual Framework is issues. When that research project is complete, the IASB will discuss whether is should add to its work plan any project to amend IAS 37 and, if so, what the scope of that project should be.